1/2 Photos of Southwestern Vegetarian Lentil Soup
1 hr 15 mins
Do you enjoy Southwest flavors? Do you enjoy healthy cooking? Then this soup is for you! This hearty, flavorful soup will warm you up on a cold dreary day. It has similar flavors to chicken tortilla soup. Great as a gift too, for anyone who enjoys southwest flavors or someone who is Vegetarian. Bring it over with toppings for an extra special treat. You could also eat this over cooked brown rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1-2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml red chili powder (I used New Mexican)
- 9.85 ml paprika (I used smoked Spanish)
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 9.85 ml onion powder
- 0.59 ml ground black pepper
- 1892.72 ml water (add vegetable bouillon at end so the salt does not keep lentils from cooking) or 1892.72 ml vegetable broth (add vegetable bouillon at end so the salt does not keep lentils from cooking)
- 113.39 g can diced green chilies, undrained (may use 2 cans)
- 236.59 ml brown lentils, picked clean and rinsed
- 6-8 vegetable bouillon cubes (only if using water)
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml spinach, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 2 zucchini, diced (about 2 cups)
- 425.24 g can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 70.87 g can black olives, drained and sliced
- 6 roma tomatoes, chopped- use seeds and juice (about 3 cups)
- 44.37-59.16 ml fresh lime juice or 44.37-59.16 ml fresh lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 1In a large pot, heat oil, sauté onion, carrot, and jalapeno, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add garlic and spices and sauté 2 minutes.
- 3Stir in water or broth and scrape any spices that stuck to the pan.
- 4Stir in green chilies and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for about 40 minutes until lentils are tender.
- 5Uncover and stir in bouillon cubes, if using, and sugar.
- 6Stir in spinach, zucchini, corn and olives. Bring to a boil and cook until zucchini is tender about 5 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat, stir in tomatoes, lime or lemon juice and salt to taste.
- 8Serve with desired toppings.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Vegetarian Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.3
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 453.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 9.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes