Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A family favorite soup recipe from Cooking Light. This freezes (up to 3 mos.) and reheats well. Serve with crushed tortilla chips and diced avocado on top. This reciped can be made using leftover diced roasted turkey breast.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 lb turkey breast tenderloin, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can no-salt-added corn, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (or 2 teaspoons dried cilantro)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic to pan.
- Saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl, dredge turkey.
- Add turkey to pan, saute 5 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Add tomato paste and next 4 ingredients (through salt), stirring to coat.
- Add broth and next 5 ingredients (through corn), bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, discard bay leaf.
- Stir in cilantro. Top with tortilla chips and avocado.