Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Taste of Homes December-January 2008. I plan on making this really soon!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 -3 tablespoons jalapenos, diced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cooked turkey, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- grated cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, salt, and cayenne. Add the turkey, beans, tomatoes, and corn.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until heated through. Top with tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream.
This is a thick, hearty, HOT soup - just what the doctor ordered!! My tomatoes did not have the chili and I am sure the soup is not suffering for lack of more heat....
Great soup, just great. Excellent taste an aroma for something this simple. Thanks for posting and we will have this again.
This was a really great way of using up leftover turkey and introducing a new set of flavors at the same time. I added 1/4 cup of cilantro and a half block of cream cheese at the end, and allowed the cream cheese to melt into the soup to thicken and enrich it. It ended up more like a stew than a soup. I didn't notice the ingredients for the topping until I was ready to serve it, so I had to improvise a bit, but otherwise it was terrific.