Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
We grilled our burgers outside on a nice day. Couldn't even tell we were eating healthy! Thank you Cook Yourself Thin and lifetimetv.com Serves 4 Calories per serving, turkey burger: 342 Calories per serving, sweet potato fries: 89
For the sweet potato fries
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 lime
For the turkey burger
- 603.27 g ground turkey, lean
- 113.39 g can green chilies, diced and drained
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- light cooking spray
- 4 slice 50% -reduced-fat monterey jack pepper cheese
- 4 whole-wheat kaiser rolls
- romaine lettuce leaf
- tomatoes, sliced
- red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- For the sweet potato fries, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash and dry the potatoes
- With the skin on, slice into 1/2-inch-thick rounds; cut the rounds into 1/2-inch-thick finger-shaped pieces.
- Toss the potatoes in a bowl with the oil, chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
- On a baking sheet, spread the sweet potato fries in a single layer and roast, stirring every 10 minutes, until brown and tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a platter or bowl and sprinkle with a little more salt.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the lean ground turkey with the diced chiles and season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into patties and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Heat a large grill pan or nonstick skillet on medium heat and spritz with canola oil.
- Add the turkey patties to the grill pan and cook until browned on one side, about 4 minutes.
- Flip, reduce the heat to low, cover (if using a skillet) and cook until the juices run pale pink, about 4 more minutes.
- Top with the reduced-fat pepper-jack cheese during the last minute.
- Toast the rolls in the oven or in a toaster oven. Alternatively, grill them 1 minute on each side.
- To assemble: On a platter, place the fries and a burger on a bun and top with lettuce, tomato, onion and avocado slices. Squeeze lime juice over the fries and serve.
Delicious! With the addition of a green salad, this made a complete and healthy meal! The green chilies helped to keep the turkey burgers moist and gave them a nice flavor boost. We absolutely loved the toppings: lettuce, tomato, avocado, red onion AND the toasted bun. I would not skip any of these! I grilled my burgers outside since we had some nice weather. The sweet potato fries had wonderful flavor and was a perfect side for this healthy meal. Next time, I will cut the potatoes into thinner, longer strips - because mine did not get as crispy as we would like. Although the flavor was perfect!! Thanks for posting this winner. Made for the Spring Pick A Chef event in the contests/events forum.
I love these burgers, my hole family does! They are super simple to make and absolutely delicious! I gave up on the avacado and just use light mayo and since we don't care for sweet potatos we omit that portion of the recipe. Since I've been making these we haven't had a "hamburger" since. Thank you for posting this recipe!