Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the magazine's 1999 publication, "The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook." Great as an appetizer or meatless dinner.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped and divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large ripe avocado, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tomato, chopped
- salsa (optional) or pico de gallo (optional)
- Combine flour, Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Add 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon at a time and stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Shape dough into a ball, and press into a 4-inch circle over heavy-duty plastic wrap. Cover with more plastic wrap, and chill 15 minutes.
- Roll dough, covered with plastic wrap, into an 11-inch circle. Remove plastic wrap and fit dough into a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Line pastry with aluminum foil, and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove weights and foil; bake 4 - 5 more minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, green onions, cumin, and remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1/4 teaspoon salt, beating until blended. Spread evenly over crust.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Toss together avocado and lime juice. Spread pie with 1/2 cup sour cream, and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, avocado and tomato. Serve with salsa or pico de gallo, if desired.