1 hr 5 mins
From the magazine's 1999 publication, "The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook." Great as an appetizer or meatless dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large ripe avocado, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tomato, chopped
- salsa (optional) or pico de gallo (optional)
- 1Combine flour, Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Add 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon at a time and stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened.
- 2Shape dough into a ball, and press into a 4-inch circle over heavy-duty plastic wrap. Cover with more plastic wrap, and chill 15 minutes.
- 3Roll dough, covered with plastic wrap, into an 11-inch circle. Remove plastic wrap and fit dough into a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Line pastry with aluminum foil, and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- 4Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove weights and foil; bake 4 - 5 more minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 5Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, green onions, cumin, and remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1/4 teaspoon salt, beating until blended. Spread evenly over crust.
- 6Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- 7Toss together avocado and lime juice. Spread pie with 1/2 cup sour cream, and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, avocado and tomato. Serve with salsa or pico de gallo, if desired.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Tart
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.5
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 130.8 mg
- Sodium 546.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 13.5 g