Recipe by Denise!
Ground beef, peppers, corn, onions and cheeses all snuggled up like a pot pie between two crusts!Barry Conway submitted this winning entry to Emeril's Pie Contest. I watched him make this the other night and decided to try it. It's easy to see why this pie was a winner! It is just oustanding and a snap to put together. A great family meal, I would suggest a guacamole salad on the side. Watch the cook time! I only baked for 20 minutes.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen peppers and onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on package
- 8 ounces shredded colby-monterey jack cheese or 8 ounces Mexican blend cheese (2 cups)
- sour cream
- taco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brown ground beef in large skillet over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently.
- Add taco seasoning mix and water; mix until ground beef is well coated.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat until hot.
- Add peppers and onions; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and drain excess liquid.
- Add garlic and onion powders, salt, pepper, corn, and salsa, stir well and set aside.
- Prepare pie crusts as directed on package for 2-crust pie using 9-inch glass or metal pie pan.
- Combine salsa and corn mixture with ground beef; mix well.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese evenly in bottom of crust-lined pan.
- Spread 1/2 of beef mixture evenly in pan over cheese, pat down.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup cheese in pan and spread evenly with remaining beef mixture, pat down, top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- Top with second crust and flute; slit in several places.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Cover edge of crust with strips of foil or a pie crust shield after 15 minutes of baking.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a drizzle of taco sauce.
- Also recommended: guacamole, salsa, and diced green chiles.
- *If using fresh peppers and onions, use 1 1/2 cups chopped onions and 2 1/2 cups chopped peppers and increase prep time and stove top cooking time.