Ground beef, peppers, corn, onions and cheeses all snuggled up like a pot pie between two crusts!Barry Conway submitted this winning entry to Emeril's Pie Contest. I watched him make this the other night and decided to try it. It's easy to see why this pie was a winner! It is just oustanding and a snap to put together. A great family meal, I would suggest a guacamole salad on the side. Watch the cook time! I only baked for 20 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen peppers and onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on package
- 8 ounces shredded colby-monterey jack cheese or 8 ounces Mexican blend cheese (2 cups)
- sour cream
- taco sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Brown ground beef in large skillet over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently.
- 4Add taco seasoning mix and water; mix until ground beef is well coated.
- 5Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat until hot.
- 6Add peppers and onions; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 7Remove from heat and drain excess liquid.
- 8Add garlic and onion powders, salt, pepper, corn, and salsa, stir well and set aside.
- 9Prepare pie crusts as directed on package for 2-crust pie using 9-inch glass or metal pie pan.
- 10Combine salsa and corn mixture with ground beef; mix well.
- 11Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese evenly in bottom of crust-lined pan.
- 12Spread 1/2 of beef mixture evenly in pan over cheese, pat down.
- 13Sprinkle 3/4 cup cheese in pan and spread evenly with remaining beef mixture, pat down, top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- 14Top with second crust and flute; slit in several places.
- 15Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- 16Cover edge of crust with strips of foil or a pie crust shield after 15 minutes of baking.
- 17Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- 18Store in refrigerator.
- 19Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a drizzle of taco sauce.
- 20Also recommended: guacamole, salsa, and diced green chiles.
- 21*If using fresh peppers and onions, use 1 1/2 cups chopped onions and 2 1/2 cups chopped peppers and increase prep time and stove top cooking time.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Taco Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1110.9
- Calories from Fat 659
- Total Fat 73.3 g
- Saturated Fat 29.2 g
- Cholesterol 127.5 mg
- Sodium 1669.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 42.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen peppers and onions