Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a favorite of our family's. It's originally from a Lawry's recipe advertisement in a magazine, but I've tweaked it to suit our tastes. Add a mixed green salad for a complete meal!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (or lean ground turkey)
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup petite diced tomato
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded (or use a Mexican blend cheese)
- 1 (4 ounce) cansliced black olives, drained
- In a large skillet, brown beef and onions until beef is crumbly and onions are tender; drain fat.
- Add taco seasoning, tomatoes, tomato sauce,chiles, chili powder,oregano,cumin, and garlic powder and mix well.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat , reduce heat to low and cook,uncovered, five minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese and eggs.
- In bottom of a 13X9X2 baking dish, spread 1/2 of meat mixture.
- Top with half of tortillas,spread half of ricotta mixture over tortillas, and top with half of cheese.
- Repeat once more, ending with cheese.
- Sprinkle olives over top.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
This is a new family favorite! It is so wonderful and quite simple. Thank you so much!