Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my modified version of "Sweet Potatoes with Warm Black Bean Salad" (a recipe from Eatingwell.com). A great vegetarian dinner or side dish to grilled meats. I added a bit more spice to the original recipe and we love it.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional) or 4 tablespoons nonfat sour cream (optional)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Scrub and dry sweet potatoes.Prick each potato with a fork in several places. Wrap in foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until tender all the way through.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, saute onion in olive oil until clear. Add black beans, Rotel, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and red pepper flakes. Simmer bean mixture on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven, unwrap and slice potatoes lengthwise, making several cuts. Then slice crosswise, making a cross-hatch pattern, opening up the potato. Spoon half of the bean mixture onto each potato.
- Top each potato with a 1-2 tablespoons of sour cream and sprinkle with cilantro or chives, if desired.
Comfort food. A complete meal. I added 2 cloves garlic, dried oregano and parsley. Skipped the salt and used a fresh chili`s and rinsed the beans to lower the sodium. Topped with yogurt and lots of cilantro! This makes enough for 6 halves generously filled. Serving more like 6 sides or 3 as a meal. Thanks.
Yummy!! We are sweet potato fanatics and love just about any recipe that uses them. This quick, easy, and very healthy recipe was no exception...we loved it! To save time, I pricked the skin of the sweet potatoes with a fork and cooked them in the microwave, on "high" for about 15 mins. I topped them with sour cream and lots of cilantro. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!
*Made for 2010 Football Pool*