Recipe by kitty.rock
This is my modified version of "Sweet Potatoes with Warm Black Bean Salad" (a recipe from Eatingwell.com). A great vegetarian dinner or side dish to grilled meats. I added a bit more spice to the original recipe and we love it.
Top Review by Rita~
Comfort food. A complete meal. I added 2 cloves garlic, dried oregano and parsley. Skipped the salt and used a fresh chili`s and rinsed the beans to lower the sodium. Topped with yogurt and lots of cilantro! This makes enough for 6 halves generously filled. Serving more like 6 sides or 3 as a meal. Thanks.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional) or 4 tablespoons nonfat sour cream (optional)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub and dry sweet potatoes.Prick each potato with a fork in several places. Wrap in foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until tender all the way through.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, saute onion in olive oil until clear. Add black beans, Rotel, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and red pepper flakes. Simmer bean mixture on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven, unwrap and slice potatoes lengthwise, making several cuts. Then slice crosswise, making a cross-hatch pattern, opening up the potato. Spoon half of the bean mixture onto each potato.
- Top each potato with a 1-2 tablespoons of sour cream and sprinkle with cilantro or chives, if desired.