1 hr 10 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
Another recipe I'm saving from the November 2001 issue of Bon Appetit. A spicy spin on the classic side dish. Any leftovers make an excellent omlet stuffing when paired with left-over turkey and grated Monterey Jack cheese!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen white corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 15 1/2 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Cook lima beans in a large pot of boiling ,salted water until just tender, about 6 minutes:remove from heat stir in white corn, drain well.
- 2Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat;add cumin seeds and stir until toasted, about 3 minutes.
- 3Add onion and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes.
- 4Add bell peppers, chilies, garlic and oregano;saute until peppers are almost tender, about 4 minutes.
- 5Stir in lima beans and corn, then broth and cream.
- 6Simmer until vegetables are tender and coated with cream, about 20 minutes.
- 7Stir in 1/3 cup cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Stir over medium heat to rewarm.
- 9Transfer succotash to serving bowl, sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup cilantro.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Succotash
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.3
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 16.3 mg
- Sodium 45.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 6.6 g