Recipe by FloridaNative
This recipe from a friend calls for either black beans or pinto beans to be used in the mix. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts in place of the whole cut up chicken.
Top Review by Mama_Jennie
What a great, easy weeknight dish! I used 3 chicken breasts that I diced and browned on the stovetop (as suggested as an alternative). Served over rice and this was absolutely fabulous! Everyone ate it! Even the pickiest 3 year old and Dad too! Thank you so much for posting this wonderful recipe. Made for ZWT5.
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, deboned and cut up
- 2 cups texmati cooked brown rice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1⁄4 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lemon, juice of
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup prepared chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: I used 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts with salt, pepper and garlic powder baked in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes in place of the whole chicken. I prepared the chicken breasts at the same time I was preparing the beans.
- If using deboned, cut up chicken, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook about 5 minutes. Turn chicken over and cook an additional 5 minutes. Chicken should be golden brown and cooked through. Remove from pan.
- In the pan in which the chicken cooked, over medium-high heat, add the onion, red pepper, jalapeno, and garlic. Add more oil if necessary. Saute, stirring, 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Do not let the onions brown.
- Stir in cumin, tomatoes, lemon juice, and beans. Add the browned chicken, mixing with the vegetables. Add the chicken broth and stir well. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Remove cover and cook 10 minutes more, or until chicken is tender.
- Serve beans and chicken spooned over individual servings of prepared brown rice with a green salad and tortilla chips.