Top Review by Ivana*
This recipe is so delicious, easy and economical - just the way it is. Next time I will tweak the recipe for my personal taste by adding a tin of tomato soup to the can of diced tomatoes to make more sauce, adding bay leaves and a teaspn of sugar(helps to cut down the acidity of the tomatoes).I did add seasoning, minced garlic, chili flakes and parsley to the mince when I made it - so would do this again. I would omit the salsa (I did not feel that it needed it - the dish is very tasty on its own). The sour cream is a nice addition. I can't wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow - something I rarely say. Thanks for the great recipe!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 -6 bell peppers
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 -16 ounce) jar salsa
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beef, onion, seasoning mix and egg in a large bowl.
- Add rice and mix well.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membrane.
- Spread tomatoes on the bottom of an ovenproof 12 X 9 inch baking dish. The liquid from the tomatoes will reduce during cooking so if (like me) you like lots of sauce, add about a cup of water. This also helps make the peppers softer.
- Place peppers, cut side up, on top of the tomatoes.
- Spoon beef mixture into peppers, mounding as necessary.
- Top each pepper with salsa.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 40-45 minutes or until beef is cooked thoroughly and peppers are soft.
- Cover each pepper with cheese and return to oven, under the broiler, until the cheese melts- less than a minute, so watch carefully!
- Serve with sour cream and additional salsa.