Recipe by Sugarmagnolia_fl
This is a great vegetarian way to enjoy the tex-mex flavor. I developed this recipe when I couldn't find exactly what I wanted. Enjoy!
- 4 bell peppers (red or yellow or orange)
- 12 ounces soy crumbles (found in freezer section of grocery)
- 1⁄2 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup whole kernel corn (canned or frozen)
- 14 ounces Rotel Tomatoes, medium heat (can use mild or hot, per personal preference)
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 -3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 avocado
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F Cut each bell pepper in half and remove seeds/membranes. Spray each pepper half with oil spray and place cut side down in 13x9 glass casserole. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Roast for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and drain upside down on paper towels.
- In the meantime, sauté onion and jalapeño just until tender (3-5 minutes), add garlic and sauté 1 additional minute. Add soy crumbles and taco seasoning. Cook until soy crumbles are thawed. Add black beans, corn and tomatoes with sauce and stir to combine. Add about 1/3 can water. Bring to a boil and simmer until sauce is thickened, 8-10 minutes. Mix in cilantro just before stuffing peppers.
- Line 13x9 casserole with wax paper. Stuff each pepper half and place in dish. Bake peppers in 425 F oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and bake an additional 5-8 minutes, or till cheese is nicely melted and golden. Top with diced avocado and sour cream, as desired.