America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs sirloin steaks, tips trimmed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 (15 ounce) cans refried beans
- 1Pat steak tips dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- 3Add steak tips and cook until well browned all over, 6-8 minutes.
- 4Transfer to serving platter and tent loosely with foil.
- 5Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to now-empty skillet.
- 6Decrease heat to medium and cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add chile powder and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 8Add tomatoes and water and cook until sauce has almost thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 9Return steak tips and any accumulated juices to skillet.
- 10Stir in 1 tablespoon lime and 2 tablespoons cilantro and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 1 minute.
- 11Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 12Meanwhile, combine refried beans, remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, and remaining 3 tablespoons cilantro in bowl.
- 13Cover and microwave until warmed through, about 4 minutes.
- 14Serve with steak tips and lime wedges.
- 15*Can serve in warmed tortillas.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Steak Tips With Refried Beans
Serving Size: 1 (450 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.6
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 102.0 mg
- Sodium 850.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 38.0 g