Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks, tips trimmed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 (15 ounce) cans refried beans
- Pat steak tips dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- Add steak tips and cook until well browned all over, 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer to serving platter and tent loosely with foil.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to now-empty skillet.
- Decrease heat to medium and cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add chile powder and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and water and cook until sauce has almost thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Return steak tips and any accumulated juices to skillet.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon lime and 2 tablespoons cilantro and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, combine refried beans, remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, and remaining 3 tablespoons cilantro in bowl.
- Cover and microwave until warmed through, about 4 minutes.
- Serve with steak tips and lime wedges.
- *Can serve in warmed tortillas.