This is a great accompaniment for a Mexican feast. A spicy, different way to prepare fresh summer squash.
- 1 lb yellow squash, sliced
- 1 lb zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- Place first 3 ingredients in a large microwave-safe glass bowl, and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Pierce plastic wrap with a fork several times to vent.
- Microwave on HIGH 8-9 minutes or until veggies are tender; drain.
- Press between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Stir together cooked veggies, cheddar cheese soup, and next 5 ingredients until well blended.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 11 x 7" baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
Oh, My, Kathy-pie! Need more stars!!! This is sooo yummy! Since I cut the recipe for 2, used only summer squash, and used mayonnaise (2 Tbsp.) for the egg. Was afraid a large egg would be too much and, well, mayonnaise has eggs in it. (I've done this lots of times) Used Nacho Cheese Doritos in place of the tortilla chips. MMMMM...still thinking about how good this is. THX Made for Slide into Sides and the Casserole Challenge in Cooking Photos.
This is the first squash casserole my husband has ever agreed to eat. The taco seasoning "covers up" the squash taste somewhat. So, if you're looking for a way to "hide" squash, try this recipe. If you love squash like I do, you might like a more traditional casserole better. But, I will certainly make this a keeper. I served this as the main entree along with some sauteed string beans and a crisp garden salad. I'm "allowed" one all-veggie meal per week and we enjoyed this one.