Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Southern Living, January 2009
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 ounces light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces petite diced tomatoes with jalapenos, undrained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 14 ounces beef broth
- 2 cups yellow and white frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 ounce taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream, for garnish
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10-12 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink and onion is softened, drain.
- Stir in kidney beans, next 8 ingredients, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in cilantro just before serving. Serve with sour cream and cilantro.
I tried this recipe about two years ago. It was given to me by a co-worker who called it Taco Soup. It is very good and goes will with corn bread.
I was at a golf outing this weekend and a friend brought this to our potluck. It is wonderful, so full of flavor, it really hit the spot. She heated it up in a crockpot for ease at the outing. Yummmm