Prep 24 mins
Cook 1 hr 29 mins
I have not made this yet, due to the fact that I don't have a jellyroll pan. But you can bet it is one of the first recipes on my list when I do get one!! From Southern Living.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2⁄3 cup ham, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 12 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Melt 2 Tbs butter in a skillet.
- Add the potatoes, bell pepper, jalapeno peppers, onion, and garlic; saute for 20 min or until tender.
- Stir in the ham, cilantro, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Whisk together 1/4 cup melted butter, flour, and 1/4 tsp salt in a heavy saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- Cook whisking constantly for 3 min or until bubbly.
- Gradually add the milk and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and pale.
- Gradually stir about 1/4 cup of milk mixture into the yolks.
- Add the remaining milk mixture into the yolks, stirring constantly for 2 min or until slightly thickened.
- Pour into a large bowl and cool.
- Line a 15x10-inch jellyroll pan with parchment paper and lightly coat paper with cooking spray.
- Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the cooled yolk batter.
- Pour and spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 min or until tested clean with a toothpick.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minute.
- Lower oven temperature to 350ºF.
- Turn out onto a cloth towel and remove the parchment paper. Return the paper to the pan.
- Top the souffle with the vegetable mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
- Beginning at the long side, roll up, jellyroll fashion.
- Place sean down on the paper lined pan.
- Bake for 10 min or until heated through and cheese melts.
- Slice with a serrated knife and serve with salsa.