Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Creamy, smokey and spicy. Great when paired with roasted meats and a sweet veggie like corn or carrots.
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk (a bit more or less to obtain your desired consistency when mashing the potatoes)
- 8 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large pot, boil potatoes in water until tender but not falling apart, about 20-25 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and mash with the butter and milk. I use my hand mixer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl combine potatoes, Gouda, garlic and chipotle peppers; mix well.
- Put potatoes into a 4 quart casserole and bake, covered, for 45 to 55 minutes stirring once.
- I like to uncover the potatoes the last 15 minutes or so of baking time to brown the top a little.
- Potatoes can be made ahead. Mix as above, do not bake. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Bake as directed or until potatoes are heated through.
I made this last night and WOW!!! Very, very tasty! I'll be making this recipe again. And again and again:)
This might be our new favorite way to have potatoes!! Very tasty. I didn't have chipotle chilies so I subbed some green chiles. Love the smoked gouda with the potatoe flavor!
I LOVED these! They were very simple to prepare earlier in the day and just pop in the oven later. I was surprised that the gouda didn't really melt in the potatoes, but the flavors are perfect together. Wouldn't change a thing except to make more next time! Thanks Nick's Mom!