Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My mouth is watering just thinking about these hearty, delicious sandwiches. Uses lots of cumin, which I love.
Top Review by ladyfingers
Everyone in the family ate as directed--on buns, except for our teenage son. He enjoyed the shredded beef more fajita style, and ate the beef on a tortilla with additional Mexican condiments. Regardless, a different and enjoyable way to serve shredded beef, other than the usual sweet flavor recipes.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or a combination of both) or 2 cups monterey jack cheese (or a combination of both)
- 16 onion rolls or 16 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- lettuce leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut roast to fit a 4 quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; stir to combine.
- Rub the mixture generously onto all sides of the beef.
- Place the roast in the slow cooker.
- Add in the undrained tomatoes, chile peppers, onion, and jalapeño peppers.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- Shred the roast with 2 forks (may need to take the roast out of the slow cooker to do this step, if so, just add the shredded meat back to the slow cooker when finished and let heat thoroughly).
- Add in the cilantro and season with salt/pepper if desired; stir to combine.
- Sprinkle cheese over the bottoms of each roll.
- With a slotted spoon, add 1/2 cup meat mixture on top of the cheese.
- Add a lettuce leaf and place tops of rolls over lettuce.