Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Clipped from a newspaper food section, but I don't remember which one anymore. The sweet potato topping caught my eye, and I thought it might be good to make. Posted here so I wouldn't lose the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped green jalapeno pepper
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- black pepper
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup cooked corn
- 1⁄2 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil (medium heat). Add onion and bell pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno, cook for 2 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the ground beef, cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and simmer 15 minutes to reduce liquid.
- Mix in corn, beans and cilantro.
- Spoon mixture into a 9 x 9 ovenproof baking dish.
- Put sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, turn heat down to simmer and cook 30 minutes. Drain, then mash with butter and milk.
- Spread mashed potatoes over meat mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.