A southwestern spin on traditional Sheperd's Pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh corn or 1 cup frozen corn
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes (approximately)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add the celery, red bell pepper and green bell pepper and cook 3 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook 3 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour starts to brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and wine and stir until the wine begins to evaporate, about 1 minute. Slowly add the chicken broth, and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of a spoon. Reduce heat to low, bring the mixture to a low boil, and cook 5 to 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens and is creamy.
- 4Remove from the heat and add the parsley, thyme, red pepper flakes, and corn. Season with salt and pepper, and transfer the mixture to a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- 5Mix the prepared mashed potatoes with 1 teaspoon of the chili powder in a bowl until well combined.
- 6Spoon the chili mashed potatoes on top of the chicken and bake 20 to 30 minutes or until the potato peaks are slightly brown and the chicken mixture is bubbling around the sides of the dish. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Shepherd’s Pie With Chicken and Chili Mashed Potato
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.4
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 114.7 mg
- Sodium 470.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 40.6 g