Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
A southwestern spin on traditional Sheperd's Pie.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh corn or 1 cup frozen corn
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes (approximately)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add the celery, red bell pepper and green bell pepper and cook 3 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook 3 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour starts to brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and wine and stir until the wine begins to evaporate, about 1 minute. Slowly add the chicken broth, and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of a spoon. Reduce heat to low, bring the mixture to a low boil, and cook 5 to 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens and is creamy.
- Remove from the heat and add the parsley, thyme, red pepper flakes, and corn. Season with salt and pepper, and transfer the mixture to a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- Mix the prepared mashed potatoes with 1 teaspoon of the chili powder in a bowl until well combined.
- Spoon the chili mashed potatoes on top of the chicken and bake 20 to 30 minutes or until the potato peaks are slightly brown and the chicken mixture is bubbling around the sides of the dish. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder. Serve immediately.
I'm with Grumpy on this...don't be put off by the ingredient list...it looks worse than it really is.
This dish really is very simple to throw together and big on taste...we absolutely loved it.
The only thing that I did different was to add another cup of stock to the sauce, as I didn't think that it looked enough, and then thickened it slightly with a little cornflour..it worked out great.
DH came back for seconds and put dibs on the leftovers to take to work for lunch today...I think that's a solid endorsement and a guarantee that I'll be cooking this again!
Thanks for a fab recipe!
Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you away! This is fantastic! We love Shepherd's Pie, and love this variation. Once everything is chopped, the rest comes together quickly. The only thing I did different from the recipe, was to add a cup of shredded pepper jack to the mashed potatoes before topping the pie. Can't wait to make this again, thanks for sharing.