Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 3 plum tomatoes, cored
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 lb scallops
- 2 cups orzo pasta or 2 cups other small shell pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup cooked fresh corn or 1 cup drained canned corn
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper or hot sauce (optional)
- Cook the whole tomatoes in a dry skillet over high heat until blackened on all sides.
- Allow to cool, then discard the seeds and chop coarsely.
- Combine the wine and bay leaves in a skillet with a cover over moderate heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add the shrimp and poach covered until they are pink and firm to the touch, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the scallops and poach covered for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, just until the scallops are opaque and firm to the touch.
- Remove the shrimp and scallops with a slotted spoon.
- Combine with the chopped tomatoes and the remaining ingredients in a large serving bowl.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.