Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
An unusual approach to the traditional macaroni salad. Make it 2 or 3 days ahead to allow flavors to blend, but do taste before serving since it may need a little more salt or vinegar.Originally from a January 1979 issue of Bon Apetit.
- 1 lb small macaroni noodles, such as shell cooked al dente and thoroughly drained or 1 lb ditalini, cooked al dente and thoroughly drained
- 2⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 6 green onions, minced
- 1 (2 ounce) jar chopped pimiento, drained
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce (generous dashes)
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon roasted green chili pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives, chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimento-stuffed green olives, drained and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise (about)
- Place macaroni in large bowl; pour vinegar over and let stand while preparing other ingredients.
- Add all other ingredients to macaroni and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 to 3 days.
- Taste for seasonings before serving; there should be a suggestion of chili and a tart tang from the vinegar.