Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful side dish for anything grilled - chicken, steaks, sausages or fish. Or, to make this the main course, you can add grilled chicken directly to the dish.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (optionally with jalapeno peppers)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, defrosted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2⁄3 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- additional salt and pepper, if desired
- Combine water, broth, and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep broth mixture warm over low heat.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice, cumin, and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup broth mixture; cook 2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of liquid is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total).
- Stir in the onions, cheese, hot sauce, corn, cilantro and red peppers; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Taste and add additional salt if needed and black pepper if desired.
This was wonderful - I loved every mouthful as did the children and there is barely a rice grain left in the pot. It was easy to do and my only alteration was to double the red peppers as I had them to use up. Made for Everyday is a Holiday.
Very much enjoyed, colourful and lots of flavour, with lots of great crunchy veggies!! I didn't use the jalapeno peppers, altho I'm sure they would be good, and I only had one small red pepper, so I used a green one as well. I also didn't add extra salt and pepper, for our tastes this was fine without. I love risotto and often make creamy ones, this was a very good change and a lot more healthy! For vegetarians (and anyone really!), this is an excellent meal in itself. Easy to prepare, this made a great mid-week supper, thank you appleydappley!