Swan Valley Tammi's Note:
I haven't tried this yet, but it's definitely on my to-make list yet before summer's completely over. Looks like a great side dish for a Tex-Mex kind of meal -- or a potluck party. From TOH magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup salted peanuts (optional)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2-1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1In a large saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer ro 15 minutes.
- 2Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Rinse rice with cold water and drain. Place in a large bowl.
- 3In a small skillet, saute the green pepper, onion, carrot, and garlic in oil until crisp-tender.
- 4Add to rice. Stir in corn, beans, tomatoes, peanuts (if using) and cilantro.
- 5In a small bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, cayenne and cumin. Pour over rice mixture and stir to coat.
- 6Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.6
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 4.2 g