Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I haven't tried this yet, but it's definitely on my to-make list yet before summer's completely over. Looks like a great side dish for a Tex-Mex kind of meal -- or a potluck party. From TOH magazine.
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup salted peanuts (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2-1 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer ro 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Rinse rice with cold water and drain. Place in a large bowl.
- In a small skillet, saute the green pepper, onion, carrot, and garlic in oil until crisp-tender.
- Add to rice. Stir in corn, beans, tomatoes, peanuts (if using) and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, cayenne and cumin. Pour over rice mixture and stir to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.