Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A bit spicy and packed with protein. Sometimes I add grilled chicken to make it a meal.
Make and share this Southwestern Quinoa Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml quinoa, uncooked
- 473.18 ml water
- 78.07 ml chopped tomato
- 118.29 ml chopped celery
- 118.29 ml frozen corn, defrosted
- 118.29 ml canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 118.29 ml red onion, thinly sliced
- 118.29 ml seedless cucumber, diced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo
- 29.58 ml light sour cream
- 29.58 ml fresh lime juice
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 177.44 ml fresh cilantro leaves
- 1.23 ml salt
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Spread on a baking sheet to cool.
- Mix cooled quinoa with vegetables and beans.
- Blend dressing ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Mix dressing with quinoa.
- Chill and serve.
Really yummy, but do agree with another reviewer who thought it was a little dry and needed a little tweaking. I also added some additional salt, pepper, olive oil and a little sugar. I also used chipotle pepper powder as I didn't have canned. Yum! Thanks Melissa for a great recipe!
I also chopped the onions and added some grated garlic and olive oil to the dressing. I omited the corn as I do not like it and added some chopped red bell pepper. I used grape tomatoes cut in half. I also toasted the quinoa after rinsing it. Nice nutty flvor.
I am always looking for new ways to fix quinoa, so I was glad to come upon this recipe. I initially made it as written except that I increased the tomato to 1/2 cup, and chopped the onion instead of leaving it in slices. After letting the salad chill, it had a good basic flavor but I felt that it needed some tweaking. I added a little olive oil as it seemed a little dry. Also, I added some additional salt, some black pepper, and a little sugar. The end result was a salad I will definitely make again. We really loved the zinginess that the chipotle pepper added. Thank you for sharing this great salad. Made for My-3-Chefs.