Recipe by Starrynews
A warm, filling soup with a zip – great for cold weather! If you prefer a little less spicy heat, feel free to reduce the cayenne pepper to your taste.
Top Review by pthompson_burke
Very satisfying veg soup! I doubled the recipe, but stirred in leftover cooked quinoa near the end. The cayenne was too much for my family. I also added a can of diced tomatoes.
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 78.07 ml onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 118.29 ml quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 473.18 ml vegetable broth
- 236.59 ml corn
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 236.59 ml milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 59.16 ml cilantro, chopped
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a pot. Saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Add poblano chili and red pepper, and sauté 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add quinoa and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in corn, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and milk and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes uncovered, until thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm, garnished as desired with cilantro, tomato, and cheddar cheese.