Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Breakfast, lunch, or dinner! This tasty blend of quinoa stuffed in a tortilla and topped with a zesty southwestern sauce and avocados is sure to fill you up! Packed with protien & its even cheezy!! Feel free to add even more veggies - onions, bell peppers.
- 236.59 ml quinoa (remove saponins if your quinoa did not come clean of this)
- 473.18 ml vegetable broth
- 236.59 ml cooked red kidney beans (or canned, drained & rinsed)
- 118.29 ml water
- 2.46 ml minced garlic (I used dried)
- 118.29 ml nutritional yeast
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 118.29 ml water
- 6 tortillas (depends how full you want them)
- avocado, chopped (for garnish)
- 118.29 ml salsa
- 28.39-59.14 ml water
- 14.79 ml non-dairy mayonnaise
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml pure maple syrup
- 2.46 ml lime juice
- 1.23 ml chili powder
- Add dry, unwashed quinoa to a large dry skillet. Toast until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Add veggie broth and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat, and simmer until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Add beans, water, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt & pepper. Cover, and heat over low flame until beans are warmed through. Add more water if needed to keep the quinoa from sticking.
- In an oven or toaster oven, lightly toast 2 tortillas until warm and slightly crispy.
- Make the sauce: Add all sauce ingredients to a blender and process until sauce is smooth.
- Plate. Divide quinoa/bean mixture in half, and place half the filling inside each tortilla. Roll up or fold tortillas in half. Drizzle with southwestern sauce and chopped avocados.
Yum! What a fun twist on your average burrito! The texture of the quinoa and "cheesy" sauce was great. I made it as directed, but had lots of leftover filling (which I used for more burritos). I would say that this recipe makes enough filling (but not enough sauce) for about six large burritos. Made for Veg*n Swap, July 2010.
This was delicious! I would say it takes longer to make than it indicated.
This is a really great meal. Although i didn't have quiet all the ingredients i am now fan of putting quinoa in a burrito as well as a healthy dose of veggies. I put some tahini for the sauce as well as some garlic simmered in oil.