1/1 Photo of Southwestern Pulled Brisket Sandwiches
8 hrs 20 mins
A great alternative to hamburgers, hot dogs, or pork barbeque. Please note that the recipe calls for two whole chipotle chiles; not two cans of chipotle chiles. We actually removed the meat from our slow cooker to pull and chop it and served the sauce on the side (strained of all the onion, bay leaves and garlic). This way each person can decide how much sauce to use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs beef brisket
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 Spanish onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 whole chipotle chiles in adobo (canned chipotle chiles)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- soft sandwich bun
- pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1Season the beef generously with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 2Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- 3Add the oil and heat just until beginning to smoke.
- 4Add the meat and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes total.
- 5Transfer the meat to the slow cooker; leave the skillet on the heat.
- 6Add garlic, onion, chili powder, coriander, and cumin to drippings in the skillet and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 7Add vinegar and boil until it's almost gone, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- 8Stir in water and pour the mixture over the brisket.
- 9Crush the tomatoes through your fingers into the slow cooker; add the tomato juices, chipotles, bay leaves, and molasses.
- 10Cover the cooker, set it on LOW, and cook the brisket until it pulls apart easily with a fork, about 8-10 hours.
- 11To serve, leave the meat in the slow cooker and use 2 forks to pull it apart and stir it evenly into the sauce; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 12Remove and discard bay leaves.
- 13Pile the meat on sandwich buns and serve with jalapenos.
- 14(This is also great rolled up in tortillas.).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Pulled Brisket Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (604 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1215.5
- Calories from Fat 881
- Total Fat 97.9 g
- Saturated Fat 37.3 g
- Cholesterol 248.3 mg
- Sodium 380.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 59.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo