Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Bet ya can't eat just one. They're chunky, crisp on the outside and creamy and chewey on the inside. Better tasting than chips and better for you. You can indulge in the condiments or skip them. Makes a great side to an ordinary meal or an appreciated canape.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- sour cream
- cilantro leaf (to garnish)
- 15 minutes before baking, place rack in center of oven and preheat to 450°; have 2 baking sheets ready.
- Cut clean potatoes crosswise into 1/4" thick slices; put slices in a bowl and toss with oil; sprinkle on cumin and salt and toss to coat; spread in a single layer on baking sheets.
- Bake about 17 minutes or until light brown on the bottom; turn with a spatula and bake unother 8-10 minutes or until they are crisp and brown on both sides; serve hot.
- Put slices in a basket as you would chips and serve with sides of the garnishes; or alternatively,serve them as appetizers.
- Lay rows of slices on a platter and garnish first row with salsa, second row with sour cream, third with guacamole, etc.
these were yummy, and a good side for spicy shredded brisket. i had a potato that was peeled that i hadn't used from the night before, and sliced it as well as 2 more potatoes, and i have to say i preferred the peeled slices. great alternative to store bought fries for sure!