Ready, Set, Cook: Special Edition Contest Entry: One of my favorite appetizers is the spiced Indian potato stuffed samosa. I wanted to make a healthier version but wanted to try one with southwestern flavors. This samosa tastes a southwestern twice baked potato. Buen provecho.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, minced (stems and seeds removed)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (1 lb) package phyllo pastry sheet, thawed (9x14-inch sheets)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F In medium bowl mix mashed potatoes with the next 10 ingredients (corn through pepper); blending to combine thoroughly. Set aside.
- 2Unwrap and unroll 1 tube of phyllo dough. Cover stack of phyllo sheets with plastic wrap and a damp kitchen towel. Keeping remaining phyllo covered. While working quickly, place 1 sheet on work surface with long side facing you. Spray lightly but thoroughly with butter flavored cooking spray. Lay a second sheet on top; spraying with additional cooking spray. Cut stacked sheets into 5 equal strips (about 2.8-inch wide). Place 1 tablespoon filling about 1" from corner of each strip. Fold one corner of phyllo diagonally over filling to opposite edge to form a neat triangle. Continue folding strip, maintaining triangle shape (like a flag). Spray outside of each triangle with cooking spray. Place triangles seam side down on ungreased cookie sheet 1” apart. Cover with plastic wrap while making remaining samosas.
- 3Repeat stacking process in same manner with remaining phyllo until filling is used up. (may need to go into second roll of dough if any sheets tear or dry out).
- 4Bake in preheated 350º F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp all over. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Potato Phyllo Samosas
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.2
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 17.3 mg
- Sodium 611.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes