2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Debbie R.'s Note:
From The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. I haven't made it yet. They also call for using 1/2 t. salt when cooking the onions. I don't see the point and wish to avoid the sodium, so that was left out. Their method uses an oven-proof Dutch oven I'll probably just cook mine stovetop.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 lbs country-style boneless pork ribs, trimmed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 (14 ounce) cans hominy, rinsed (white or yellow)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position. Heat oven to 300. Heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, oregano and chili powder. Cook about 30 seconds. Add pork. Coat with the spices. Cook until meat is no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
- 2Stir in tomatoes with their juice and the broth. Bring to a simmer. Cover. Transfer the pot to the oven. Cook until meat is tender, about 1.5 hours.
- 3Remove pot from oven. Transfer the pork to a cutting board. Stir the hominy into the broth. Bring to a simmer on the stovetop. Cook uncovered, for 20 minutes, removing any fat that rises to the top.
- 4Meanwhile, when the meat is cool, shred it using your fingers. Discard any gristle. Put meat back into the pot.
- 5Before serving, season with lime juice; salt and pepper if desired.
- 6TO MAKE AHEAD: It can be cooled, covered and chilled for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 1 month. Reheat over low, adding more water or broth to adjust consistency. Season with additional lime juice before serving.
Browse Our Top Low Sat. Fat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Pork Stew
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.9
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 125.8 mg
- Sodium 492.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 41.5 g