1/2 Photos of Southwestern Pork Soup (For Crock Pot)
6 hrs 10 mins
This is a great soup, so flavorful and so easy. Even though the avocado, lime juice and cilantro are "garnishes," the flavor of the lime and the cilantro especially is very key to the balance of flavors. This is good enough for company, really yummy. I think you probably could get away with using chicken meat in this too, although I tried this using the pork. Another find from the Robin Miller show, with my adjustments.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -1 1/2 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper (I used an orange one)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 -4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, diced, for garnish
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, garnish
- 1 lime, juice of, to 2 garnish
- cheddar cheese, shredded, garnish (optional)
- tortilla chips, garnish (optional)
- 1In the bottom of a slow cooker, combine pork, onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, chili powder, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (measuring both the salt and pepper with real measuring spoons, leveled).
- 2Stir to combine.
- 3Add broth, tomatoes, and beans, cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- 4When ready to serve, test for seasonings, then ladle soup into bowls and top with avocado, some cilantro, and a squirt or two of lime juice over each serving.
- 5Serve with some chips and a sprinkling of cheese too if desired.
Browse Our Top Pork Loins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Loins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Pork Soup (For Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.8
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 36.8 mg
- Sodium 232.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 20.6 g