Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This bread was a winner in Pillsbury's Bake-Off Contest #36, in 1994. The prep time also includes the time needed for the bread to rise.
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomatoes without oil, chopped
- 15 ounces black beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 garlic cloves, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 1⁄2-6 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 ounce dry yeast, fast-acting (2 packets)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup other vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 4 1⁄2 ounces chopped green chilies, drained or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno peppers
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 cups)
- In a blender or food processor, finely chop tomatoes. Add beans, yogurt, cumin, oregano, parsley and garlic; process 10-15 seconds or until beans are mashed. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast; mix well. In small saucepan, heat water and oil until very warm (120° to 130°F). Add warm liquid and egg to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Add bean mixture; beat until well mixed. By hand, stir in green chiles (or jalapeño pepper) and an additional 3 1/2 to 4 cups flour to form a stiff dough.
- On floured or cornmeal-coated surface, knead in 1/2 to 1 cup flour for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and a cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80° to 85°F) for 45 to 60 minutes or until light and doubled in size.
- Grease two 8- or 9-inch rounds cake pans, or 1 large cookie sheet. Punch down dough. Divide dough in half; shape each half into a 6-inch round loaf. Place in greased pans. Using a sharp knife, 1 1/2 inches from edge, cut a 2 1/2-inch-deep ring around each loaf. Cut another 2 1/2-inch-deep ring 1 inch inside of first cut. Insert cheese in cuts; pinch cut edges to seal. Cover; let rise in warm place 30 to 40 minutes or until light and almost doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 375°F Uncover dough. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hollow when lightly tapped. Immediately remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
- (Note: Bread can be frozen. Thaw at room temperature. To reheat, heat oven to 375°F Wrap loaf in foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until hot.).