1/1 Photo of Southwestern Pinto Bean Soup (Pc)
Blue Karma's Note:
A tasty, light bean soup. Inspired by Lorna Sass' recipe in "Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure". I've eliminated oil and increased the zip. I love that it can be on the table in well under 30 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup vegetable broth (good when made with broth from potato peels, onion skins and garlic!)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cups dried pinto beans, rinsed, sorted, and soaked overnight
- 2 teaspoons oregano (mexican oregano, if you can find it)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 chipotle chiles (if dried, stem and mince. If canned, smash and add a bit of the adobo sauce)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 lime, juice of
- salt and pepper
- 1Place 1 cup of vegetable broth in 4 quart (or larger pressure cooker). Bring to a full simmer.
- 2Add garlic to broth, simmer 1 minute.
- 3Add chopped onions and diced red bell pepper to garlic broth mix. Simmer 2 minutes.
- 4Drain and rinse pinto beans from overnight soak. Add to the mixture in the pressure cooker.
- 5Add oregano, cumin, chipotle peppers, corn and water to the pressure cooker.
- 6Bring to a full boil. Seal cooker with lid and bring to high pressure.
- 7Cook beans at high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow pressure to come down naturally (or you may use speed release if your pressure cooker supports this).
- 8Put tomato paste in blender. Add 1 cup of the bean mixture to the blender and puree.
- 9Return the pureed mixture to the cooker and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 10Garnish with diced tomatoes, cilantro and avocado and green onions.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Pinto Bean Soup (Pc)
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.9
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 199.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.8 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 23.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: