Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
While browsing for a pasta salad recipe, I found Inez Willenborg's Homestyle Macaroni Salad. It sounded good, but I didn't have all the ingredients, so I improvised and came up with this one. We absolutely loved it. Thank you, Inez, for the recipe that was the inspiration for this winner.
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 2 hardboiled egg, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup fresh salsa (homemade or the refrigerated variety sold in the produce section)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup Miracle Whip (or mayonnaise)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water until tender.
- Drain pasta and rinse with cold water.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add pasta and stir until the pasta is coated.
- Refrigerate at least an hour before serving.
This is incredible! I doubled the sauce ingredients as I made it the night before the lunch I was going to serve it at and I didn't want it to dry out. It was perfect! I served it with chopped black olives, sliced green olives and mild banner rings as garnish. My guests raved! Thanks for making me look good PanNan!
I really enjoyed this salad! I used mayonaise and I didn't have any buttermilk so I added a tbls. of vinegar to a1/4 cup milk. I used commercial salsa. Thanks for a yummy recipe!
I took this to a labor day cook out and everyone loved it. First time I have ever used buttermilk and was quite impressed. I did as Michelle S did, I doubled the dressing as it sat over night and it was perfect the next day. Thanks for posting this one. Its a keeper.