Recipe by Gingernut
This recipe is from Leanne Ely of SavingDinner.com. I use her Menu-mailer when I just can't be bothered planning a menu for the week. Her recipes tend to be quick, simple, and relatively healthy, albeit a bit plain for my taste.
Top Review by Beth A.
I must have gotten my copy of this recipe the same place as dgwdsmith!:) My recipe calls for 8 oz. pasta as well. I agree, also, that layering the ingredients in a clear, straight-sided bowl makes for a nice presentation. I usually toss it all together right before serving, however. Good stuff!
- 12 ounces macaroni, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained or 1 cup cooked dried black beans
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, cut into strips
- 3⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives, drained
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup tbsps salsa, your favorite
- 2 tablespoons salsa, your favorite
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, AKA coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain, toss with oil and sprinkle with cumin. Salt to taste and set aside.
- The original recipe suggests layering the beans, vegetables, and olives, but I just tossed them all together.
- In a small bowl combine mayo, sour cream and salsa. The original recipe suggests you spread this mixture over the top of the pasta "like you're frosting a cake" but I just mixed it all in together. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and chill overnight or for several hours.