From Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking Magazine. Naomi Reed of McMinnville Oregon wrote, "I gave mac and cheese a twist by adding some favorite ingredients. My family absolutely loves this side dish."
- 787.84 ml uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 532.32 ml nonfat milk
- 236.59 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 slice center-cut bacon, strips cooked and crumbled
- 29.58 ml fresh cilantro, minced
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute pepper and onions in oil until tender. Stir in the flour, chili powder, cumin, salt, and chipotle pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese until melted.
- Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Stir in bacon and cilantro. Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.