Modified from a recipe found on sweetonionsource.com
Make and share this Southwestern Pasta recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large sweet onions (about 2 1/4 lbs. total)
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder (to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup corn kernel, fresh or frozen
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 12 ounces fettuccine, cooked as package directs
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Peel sweet onions and cut into slices about 1/4-inch thick; separate slices into rings.
- In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onions, chicken, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and golden, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, corn and chiles and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Pour in the chicken stock and increase heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Combine the sauce, cooked pasta, cilantro and goat cheese, stirring and tossing to soften the cheese.
I made this as directed, other than using penne pasta, felt that it would go well with this dish. Very good, I used some already cooked chicken that I had in the fridge, it was a good and satisfying and colourful pasta dinner!!! Very much enjoyed, thank you, made for ZWT 8
I know that I have some corn in the freezer but do you think that I could find it when I needed it, of course not! Even being cornless this was a treat. Easy to make and a ton of flavor. I think this is a keeper, I usually have everything on hand . Made for ZWT8 with a smile.
I didn't use this many onions--my kid would have killed me! He also would have killed me if I added cayenne, so I subbed ancho powder instead. We all liked this--it had kind of a smoky frontier taste. It was a nice change to have it with the pasta. Thanks for posting! Made for the Lively Lemon Lovelies ZWT8.