Recipe by Leslie in Texas
I copied this recipe many years ago from the "New Mexico Magazine" and have made it several times, always to rave reviews! For the Mexican saffron, check the Mexican herb rack in the market. This is the petal of a different flower, not the expensive saffron made from the pistils of rare flowers, and is used by the tablespoon, not the strand. It colors the rice orange, instead of yellow, but creates a very similar taste. The recipe makes a lot, but it freezes well for later use.
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 -3 lbs pork tenderloin
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 6 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons mexican saffron
- 3 cups regular uncooked rice
- 4 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby peas, unthawed
- 1 (15 ounce) jar artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1 (8 ounce) jarsliced pimientos, drained
- 12 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined (optional)
- 1 lb fish, cut into bite-sized pieces (any kind of white fish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the chicken pieces and the pork into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy kettle or Dutch oven over medium high heat and brown chicken and pork in small batches; remove from kettle and set aside.
- Add onions, tomatoes, and bell pepper and cook over medium heat until onion is tender but not browned.
- Take about a cup of broth , put it in a small sauce pan, add the Mexican saffron and bring to a boil to release the saffron's goodness and color.
- Place this and the rest of the liquid in the kettle, stir in the rice,add the spices,the chicken and pork and bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in peas.
- If you wish to add the shrimp and fish, stir that in at this point.
- Cover tightly and simmer 15 minutes longer.
- Then carefully stir in artichoke hearts.
- Serve on a large platter and garnish with the pimentos.