Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Southern Living.
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients. Shape into a 9- x 5-inch loaf, and place on a lightly greased wire rack in a baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes; increase heat to 425°, and bake 15 more minutes or until done. Let meat loaf stand 10 minutes before servin.
This was fantastic! Great flavor, and the tomatoes really made this dish too. I did make it with ground turkey for a healthier twist. Its a keeper for me.
You & another RZ chef convinced me again that the lowly meatloaf does not have to be boring. I made only 1 sml chg out of necessity & used dried cilantro instead of fresh. This is mildly southwestern if you apply an adventurous flavor std, but the lovely surprise here was how much I enjoyed the sweetness of the brown sugar combined w/the savory flavors of garlic, hot sauce, cilantro & worcestershire. This worked very well for us & will be repeated. Thx for sharing the recipe w/us.