1/1 Photo of Southwestern Lemon Chicken Soup with Chilies
One of my favorite tricks for getting a meal on the table quickly and easily is using a deli-roasted chicken. To really enhance the flavor of this soup, sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves before serving. If you want to add some more heat, sprinkle in crushed red pepper while it is simmering.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb thin-skinned potato, scrubbed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of (yellow part only)
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 anaheim chilies, stemmed,seeded and chopped (about 3 oz)
- 1 roasted chicken
- 2 cups frozen white corn
- fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- 1In a 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, combine broth, onion, potatoes, diced tomatoes and their juice, lemon peel, tarragon, and pepper.
- 2Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add chilies and simmer 5 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, discard skin and fat from chicken and pull meat off bones.
- 5Chop meat into bite-size pieces.
- 6When potatoes are tender, add chicken meat and corn to soup.
- 7Simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Lemon Chicken Soup with Chilies
Serving Size: 1 (593 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.2
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 115.0 mg
- Sodium 1285.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 38.5 g