Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A tasty and easy-to-make family favorite adapted from a Mission Foods recipe.
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 16 ounces cottage cheese, pureed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sliced olive
- Cut each tortilla into 2 or 3 pieces; set aside.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet until crumbly; drain fat.
- Add seasonings, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and green chiles to the skillet; stir and bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Combine cottage cheese, egg, and 1 1/3 cups of the shredded cheese in a separate bowl.
- In a lightly greased 9x13" baking pan, spread (in layers) half of the meat mixture, then half of the tortilla pieces, and then half of the cheese mixture; repeat the layers, ending with cheese mixture; sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup shredded cheese and sliced olives over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly around edges; remove from oven and let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting into serving portions.
- NOTE: The cottage cheese may be left unpureed or may be replaced with a cup of ricotta cheese.
I halved this recipe, but still used 2 tb. taco seasoning and the full can of tomatoes and simply omitted the seasoning salt. Also had some Mexican style quesadilla melting cheese (block form) that needed to be used up, and that worked well too. An easy dish using ordinary ingredients--cuts into squares very nicely and tastes good. We're happy--thanks Deb--looking forward to leftovers tomorrow.
We loved it, Deb. I mixed the olives with the ground beef before putting lasagna together, though. It still tasted good the next day.
Loved it! Deb, I served this tonight for company and everyone raved about it. I changed the serving size to 6 but used a full egg, and I used rotel rather than separate cans of tomatoes and green chilis. Thank you for a great recipe. (Please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.) Edited to say that I had this again today as leftovers and it is so good! I allow myself to break my "no 5 stars the first time I make it" rule just once a month and I've decided that this is the one, the flavor is really awesome on this one.