Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day but who has the time to make a good breakfast? Now YOU do! These eggs are done up Migas style- with the corn tortillas IN the eggs themselves! If you think you wont like it that way feel free to skip that. I do recommend wrapping this up in a tortilla though and making it a breakfast taco. Made for RSC 11. Gouda was one of the great ingredients on the list. Feel free to sub a different cheese if you like. Mornings can be hectic but this dish cooks up fast and tasty. So fast that you may want to chop and measure everything before hand so it is ready and waiting. You can even do that the night before! I hope these eggs bring a smile to your face and make your taste buds sing! What a great way to start off the day!
- 4 teaspoons shallots or 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cooked ham, diced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 corn tortillas, cut in strips about 1x2
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk, any fat content
- 1 tablespoon sour cream, low fat is ok
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup gouda cheese, shredded or 3⁄4 cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded, for a stronger smoky flavor used smoked gouda
- salt and pepper, to taste
- salsa (optional)
- green onion, scallions, chopped (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Beat eggs well in a large bowl until lemon colored. Whisk in milk, sour cream, pepper flakes, and garlic powder until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray for easy clean up. Add butter and melt using medium heat. Then add shallots, ham and tortilla strips until strips and shallots soften.
- Add egg mixture and stir constantly to keep from scorching.
- When the eggs are almost done add cheese and continue to stir until cheese is melted and eggs are completely cooked.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and pepper to taste. Serve with any desired garnish and enjoy.
This was wonderful! We used sliced smoked ham and sharp cheddar cheese and garnished with cilantro, salsa and sour cream. Great flavor! I chopped everything up the night before and even mixed the egg mixture up and put it in the fridge til morning. It was so fast and easy to put together. Thanks for the new twist on breakfast!!
I thought these eggs were fantastic!! So creamy and great flavor. I had never used sour cream in my eggs before, wonderful touch. I used regualar gouda and instead of mixing in the corn tortillas, I served the egg mixture in a flour tortilla (burrito-like). We really enjoyed ours drizzled with taco sauce. Thanks for a great recipe. I will be doing my eggs this way alot!!
Yummy breakfast! Unfortunately my crew didn't like the tortillas tossed in with it. I might make them crunchy to put on top as another reviewer stated. Thanks!