Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great brunch or dinner dish from my favorite Galveston-area church cookbook. I use Amazing Taco Seasoning for the taco seasoning.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄4 cup finely-chopped onion
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Thaw the spinach and squeeze dry with paper towels. Drain the corn.
- Put water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave 7 minutes. Using a wire whisk or fork, stir in grits, taco seasoning, and onion. Microwave, uncovered, 4 minutes. Stir and microwave 2 minutes more.
- Stir in corn, spinach, margarine, and half of the cheeses.
- Spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray. Pour grits mixture into the dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
I scaled this down and used some cooked chard I had leftover. Loved it! I didn't have Monterey Jack so used some Mexican farmers cheese. Thanks for a great breakfast!
I liked the addition of the spinach. This reminded me of a polenta dish. My boys seemed to enjoy it too. Great chance of pace. Thanks for sharing. Made for 1-2-3 tag.
I halved the recipe. Loved the colors in the dish. I used fresh spinach and fresh corn, instead of frozen and canned. I'd decrease the amount of taco seasoning, because I felt it overshadowed the wonderful tastes of the veggies. I also probably added a bit more cheese....love cheese! Thanks for sharing!