Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
For those that love main dish salads, this full flavoured dish adapted from the 2011 Fine Cooking - Cooking Fresh magazine, is sure to please. Serve with a crusty baquette. The original recipe called for added brown sugar & honey so if you prefer a bit of sweet with your savory flavours, just add the optional fresh corn. It adds a great texture as well as flavour.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, exta virgin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 -5 drops Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 corn on the cob, fresh & sweet (optional)
- 9 cups bibb lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces (can use Leaf lettuce)
- 1 avocado, medium-firm ripe
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds, unsalted
- Trim and then butterfly the chicken breasts by slicing it horizontally almost but not entirely in half. (so you can open it like a book).
- In a small bowl combine the chili powder, coriander, cumin and salt. Rub into both sides of the butterflied chicken breasts and let sit while the grill heats.
- Clean and oil the grill grate. Grill the breast until the edges of the top side are white, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until just done, another 2 minutes or so. Remove and let sit for 8 to 10 minutes before slicing.
- In a small bowl or glass jar with a tight lid, combine the olive oil, lime juice, 1 Tbsp of the cilantro, 1/2 tsp salt, a few grinds of pepper and a few shakes of green tabasco . Wish or shake well to combine.
- To make the salsa, combine the black beans, tomatoes, scallion, remaining cilantro and a pinkch fo salt in a small bowl. Add the kernals from a fresh, uncooked sweet corn on the cobb if you want added sweetness. Add 2 Tbsp of the dressing, toss gently and set aside stirring occassionally.
- Put the lettuce in a bowl, season with a little salt and with jsut enough of the dressing to lightly coat - reserve a little to drizzle on the chicken. Arrange the lettuce on dinner plates.
- Slice the chicken breasts very thinly. Pit and slice the avocado. Arrange the chicken, avocado and salsa on the lettuce. Drizzle a little of the remaining dressing over the chicken and avocado. Sprinkle each dish with sesame seeds.