Recipe by threeovens
There's a trick to making a satisfying meal out of a salad and just a little bit of protein - make sure you have a variety of ingredients to add in with your lettuce greens. This salad is dressed with a flavor-packed vinaigrette.
- 6 ounces skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of fat and butterflied
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons honey
- fresh ground black pepper
- Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 green onion, sliced thing
- 9 cups bibb lettuce, torn
- 1 avocado
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts or 1⁄4 cup pepitas, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a grill over medium high heat while you butterfly the chicken; in a small bowl, combine chili powder, brown sugar, coriander, cumin and 3/4 teaspoon salt and rub over chicken (you won't need all of it).
- Grill the chicken 3 minutes, turn and grill until just cooked through, about 1 or 2 minutes; let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing: Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, 1 tablespoon of the cilantro, honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, some pepper, and a few drops of Tabasco or place these ingredients in a lidded glass jar and shake to combine.
- Combine beans, tomatoes, green onions, remaining 2 teaspoons cilantro and a pinch of salt; add 2 tablespoons of the dressing and toss gently.
- Toss the lettuce with a little dressing (reserve some dressing to drizzle over the chicken); arrange dressed lettuce on a serving platter or individual bowls or plates.
- Slice the chicken very thinly and arrange over lettuce; pit and slice the avocado and arrange with the chicken.
- Arrange black bean salsa on the lettuce as well; drizzle chicken and avocado with dressing.
- Garnish with pine nuts or pepitas and remaining cilantro.