Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Adapted from Southern Living. Wonderful over grits, polenta, pinto beans, or black-eyed peas.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies (I use Rotel original)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a roux: in a large skillet over medium heat, whisk the oil and flour together.
- Cook and whisk constantly until the roux is caramel colored (about 20 minutes so pull up a chair).
- Add in onion and cook for 5 minutes, stir frequently.
- Add in 2 cups hot water and remaining ingredients; stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over grits, scrambled eggs, polenta, chicken, pork, or black-eyed peas.