1 hr 5 mins
Simply Chris's Note:
This recipe is a modified version of the Southwestern Frittata served at the Joshua Grindle Inn. A wonderful B&B in Mendocino, Ca. I have modified it to more suit my family's tastes. Prepare the night before, and just pop into the oven in the morning for a special breakfast. We always have this as Christmas breakfast. It is in the oven baking while we open presents. You can use egg substitute, but if you do, add additional 1/2 to 1 cup grated cheese. Also, if you like spicy, increase green chilies to 14 oz, and use 1/2 teaspoon Cumin. You can also use corn tortillas instead of the whole wheat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 7 ounces diced green chilies
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- paprika (optional)
- cooking spray
- 1Lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- 2Mix the onion, garlic and cheeses.
- 3Mix the chilies and chopped tomatoes.
- 4Cut or tear the tortillas into 1 inch strips.
- 5Spread 1/3 of the chili and tomato mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- 6Top with 1/3 of the tortilla strips.
- 7Cover with 1/3 of the cheese mixture.
- 8Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
- 9Beat eggs and milk together with the Cumin, Salt and Pepper.
- 10Pour the egg mixture over the the layers.
- 11Sprinkle with the paprika.
- 12Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- 13Next morning, preheat oven to 350 degree.
- 14Remove foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Frittata
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.2
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 290.5 mg
- Sodium 1472.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 28.0 g