Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is a modified version of the Southwestern Frittata served at the Joshua Grindle Inn. A wonderful B&B in Mendocino, Ca. I have modified it to more suit my family's tastes. Prepare the night before, and just pop into the oven in the morning for a special breakfast. We always have this as Christmas breakfast. It is in the oven baking while we open presents. You can use egg substitute, but if you do, add additional 1/2 to 1 cup grated cheese. Also, if you like spicy, increase green chilies to 14 oz, and use 1/2 teaspoon Cumin. You can also use corn tortillas instead of the whole wheat.
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 7 ounces diced green chilies
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- paprika (optional)
- cooking spray
- Lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Mix the onion, garlic and cheeses.
- Mix the chilies and chopped tomatoes.
- Cut or tear the tortillas into 1 inch strips.
- Spread 1/3 of the chili and tomato mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- Top with 1/3 of the tortilla strips.
- Cover with 1/3 of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
- Beat eggs and milk together with the Cumin, Salt and Pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the the layers.
- Sprinkle with the paprika.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Next morning, preheat oven to 350 degree.
- Remove foil and bake for 45 minutes.